i usually laugh at my drunken ideas and forget about them forever only to be reminded a year later by someone who thought it was totally hillarious.
Last weekend, I participated in a GNO (Girls' Night Out). No, this isn't some metaphor related to wearing a shirt that lets your tits fall out, it's just a bunch of girls drinking and dancing and swearing not to bring home any stray boys. We went downtown to a bar I love where a band was playing that really wasn't very good. I mean, for what they did, they were probably good, but I don't think "Slide" should ever be covered by a band that could cover Phish immaculately. Plus, going from "Slide" to "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby" to "Sledgehammer" should be illegal.
i'm agreeing that their set list order needed some work. My guess is that they all made a list of songs they wanted to do and in order to appease everyone in the band and while making each other happy spit out an evvenings worth of poo for the general public. GNO. so, it's not guns and oranges. :)
There are tons of songs that I don't really like, yet know all the words to because I spent the 80's glued to MTV. "Sledgehammer" is one of those songs. Now, after years and years of hearing this slightly ridiculous song ("In Your Eyes" and "Solsbury Hill"...and CUT!)...these lyrics, which I'm sure I've heard over and over, caused a light bulb to go off...
Show me round your fruitcage
cos I will be your honey bee
Open up your fruitcage
Where the fruit is as sweet as can be
I realize it was CAGE, and not CAKE, but still, holy shit, Peter Gabriel used "fruitcage" as a metaphor for "vagina." DUDE. This moment was almost as enlightening as finally figuring out what Pearl Jam is. Dammit, I liked it better when I thought it was "fruitcake." On second thought, "fruitcage" is less gay.
i'm down with the bad 80's with questionable lyrics that are double entendre's. here are some of my favorite.....
she had a pocket full of horses, Trojans, and some of them used.
If I looked all over the world And there's every type of girl But your empty eyes Seem to pass me by Leave me dancing with myself
there was actually a band called The Muffs
Hey, hey--they say I better get a chaperone Because I can't stop messin' with the danger zone No, I won't worry, and I won't fret--Ain't no law against it yet--Oop--she bop--she bop--
Off to make a list of metaphorical terms for men and women's nethers....

No comments:
Post a Comment